open source contributions
25-May-2010 - …
Todo.txt task tracking
Probably due to the simplicity of the task tracking solution, I was drawn into contributing many fixes, enhancements, Wiki edits and quick answers on the mailing list, all of which were greatly appreciated by the community. Enabled by the script's extension points, I initially developed, modified and used 24 small addon scripts to customize the application to my workflow, before publishing them as a separate project (see below).
The great GitHub platform, existence of an automated test suite, and friendly community of partially less technical people made contributing so much fun. My first steps consisted of cleanup of help messages, code consistency and minor bug fixes, in order to learn more about the script and the community. Later I contributed enhancements and then coordinated problem reports and fixes from other developers. This resulted in the v2.7 release on 04-Aug-2010, where I contributed 39 out of 42 commits, and continued with me as the lead developer of the v2.8 release on 14-Sep-2011.
From the beginning, I had picked up some Todo.txt add-ons from various contributors, and soon wrote my own custom commands, configuration, and special filters. This eventually culminated in a set of matching interdependent extensions that codified my personal approach to task handling. Because there had been keen interest in various pieces of my add-ons, I finally released them as a separate project in Feb-2012.
12-Feb-2002 - …
Vim text editor
I'm an avid user of the Vim text editor since Vim 6.0 in 2002.
Since Dec-2006, I'm a member of the email@example.com mailing list, where I participate in troubleshooting help, feature discussions, and strategy. I've submitted several bug reports and Vim patches, many of which have been incorporated into the mainline.
Since Dec-2007, I partipate in the Vim Tips Wiki, amassing 104 edits as of Mar-2012. I also frequent the Vim subreddit, and watch questions tagged Vim on Stack Overflow, answering questions as they come up.
Starting Sep-2006, I have published several of my customizations and enhancements as Vim scripts on the vim.org community site. Some of them have been downloaded over a thousand times. I'm one of the most prolific script authors, with 90+ published plugins (up from 38 in March-2012). I have been contributing bug reports, patches, and critiques to at least as many plugins by other authors (to some of them regularly as a kind of co-development), and regularly receive (overwhelmingly positive) feedback about them.
list of contributions
Here's an incomplete list of my contributions to the open source community; many minor things have been omitted:
- Jun-2014 Stack Overflow community
- After three years on Stack Overflow, I've gained 59k reputation and 8/28/58 gold/silver/bronze badges. My accepted answer percentage rate is at 51%, significantly more than the average of 39%!
- Apr-2014 Adoption of personal Vim plugin fork
- I got a pull request on my extended fork of an (apparently unmaintained) Vim plugin, informing me that the developer had taken my modifications and extended those. Out of that friendly exchange arose a couple of mutual extensions.
- Dec-2013 Stack Overflow community
- After 20 months, I've gained 40k reputation and 6/20/42 gold/silver/bronze badges.
- This was a rather calm year; I've mostly answered issues and reviewed all incoming pull requests, which was acknowledged in the 2.10 release announcement.
- Todo.txt extensions
- I added and improved several actions in what I would call controlled evolution. The suite of add-ons around the Todo list (with currently 600 entries) still form the base of my task management.
- Vim plugins
- I'm continuously tweaking my personal configuration, adding useful commands and mappings. This year, a lot of inspiration came from questions on Stack Overflow. By giving back (answers and help), I learn and gain a lot (inspiration, ideas to do things differently), too!
- Due to my heavy use and extensive automated test suite for my plugins, I was able to report several issues and got most of them quickly fixed by friendly colleagues. In particular, I found several corner case inconsistencies in the new Vim 7.4 NFA-based regexp engine, resulting in patches 7.4a.032 and 7.4a.039.
- Dec-2012 Stack Overflow community
- After 8 months of following and answering Vim questions on Stack Overflow, I've gained 13k reputation and my first two gold badges for reviewing 1,000 edits and casting 600 votes.
- 03-Feb-2012 Todo.txt extensions
- In addition to a couple of add-ons to Todo.txt provided by other users, I wrote my own customizations: Add-on scripts to adapt the versatile command-line application to my own workflow by introducing shortcuts as well as totally new functionality, and more highlighting for additional syntax that I've invented. Since other users apparently faced similar issues and questions are coming up regularly on the mailing list, I've added a test suite for my add-ons and published my extensions as a separate GitHub project. With this, I can now simply refer such questions to my implementation.
- 22-Nov-2011 I18N for nowrap / vim_dev
- Reported a small issue within the Cygwin terminal to the author, and offered advice on how to make his tool work with <Tab> and double-width characters. Shortly thereafter, a similar discussion came up on the vim_dev mailing list, where I educated the OP about the differences of character widths, number of characters, and bytes to represent the character in a particular encoding.
- 18-Oct-2011 CamelCaseMotion fork
- Noticed through a blog article about Vim plugins that I found through vim.reddit.com that someone named bkad had created a private fork of my plugin, fixed a small bug, but hadn't sent this to me. I contacted the author just as he was discussing with a collaborator how to contribute back the changes.
- 14-Sep-2011 Todo.txt
- New official release v2.8 that where almost the entire functionality was provided by me. I got a big thank-you for pushing the project forward in the release message.
- 30-Jul-2011 vcscommand.vim
- Contributed three patches to this popular Vim plugin. As I have done more invasive enhancements that I so far use privately (and intend to contribute back), I soon decided to use Git instead of my home-grown writebackup to maintain my modifications in separate branches. This turned out to be so beneficial that I will use GitHub clones for all future contributions to Vim plugins.
- 29-Mar-2011 Vim
- Found out by chance (while browsing other people's public .vimrc configurations) that someone named Lokaltog had used the logic from my StatusLineHighlight plugin for a similar purpose, and has credited me in the comments.
- 04-Aug-2010 Todo.txt
- New official release v2.7 that contains my cleanup of help and error messages, many small bugfixes, several improved commands, and highlighting of done tasks. Overall, I committed 39 out of 42 changesets.
- 25-May-2010 Todo.txt
- Found a couple of inconsistencies and nuisances while adopting this simple script for task tracking. Submitted a set of bug fixes and enhancements (together with accompanying automated tests) via GitHub, which were pulled into upstream a mere four hours later.
- 30-Jun-2009 English Wikipedia
- Commenced editing on Wikipedia by adding explanations to the Vim part of the Text editor support page, then discussed and implemented consolidation of locations for the syntax highlighting script, and added my personal updates and enhancements.
- 07-Jun-2009 Mark
- Continued Vim script which was abandoned by its original author. Added many bugfixes and modernized the main algorithm.
- 24-Apr-2009 Ubuntu
- Reported problems with spinning laptop fan, system hangs and other problems experienced on my wife's Ubuntu 9.04 installation. Contributed improved workarounds and help to other affected users.
- 25-Feb-2009 Vim
- Reported unset v:warningmsg. Submitted patch on 03-Mar-2009. Included as patch 7.2.146 on 18-Mar-2009.
- 15-Feb-2009 Firefox MAF addon
- Submitted a bug and an enhancement request. Latter was fulfilled on 26-Mar-2009.
- 04-Feb-2009 Vim
- Submitted patch to :diffpatch command. Included as patch 7.2.105 on 11-Feb-2009.
- 21-Jan-2009 Vim
- Submitted patch to obsolete help text.
- 03-Jan-2009 OLPC XO
- Published first enhancements, patches and customizations.
- 09-Jul-2008 Vim Tips Wiki
- Another collaborative refinement of a Vim Tip, done less because I actually needed the functionality, but for the fun of working with user Lpb612.
- 20-Jun-2008 Vim
- Added own observations to bug report, then implemented enhancement. Included as patch 7.2.051 on 28-Nov-2008.
- 09-Jun-2008 Vim
- Reported, then fixed bug with partially reversed strings. Included as patch 7.1.325 on 20-Jun-2008.
- 06-Dec-2007 Vim Tips Wiki
- Started contributing to the new home of the Vim Tips by improving the 2006 tip of mine; this led to a beautiful collaboration with user Fritzophrenic.
- 09-Aug-2007 fuzzyfinder.vim
- Reported bug. (Reported some more after that.)
- 01-Aug-2007 Firebug
- Posted solution to common update problem in newsgroup.
- 03-Jul-2007 Linklint
- Adopted abandoned project and published first bugfixes and enhancements.
- 10-Mar-2007 writebackup
- After years of helpful use, published first of the many little helper scripts that I am continually developing and tweaking in order to become more efficient. Had to decide on a license and delivery strategy. Most of my scripts were too small to warrant the formalism of Sourceforge, and GitHub hadn't been invented yet, so I put them into a download area on my website.
- 2007 - … Vim scripts
- Reporting and sending bug(fixes) and enhancements to many script maintainers.
- 17-Jan-2007 Vim scripts
- Emailed bugfix to script maintainer.
- 05-Dec-2006 Vim
- Reported tr() bug. Was fixed two hours later as patch 7.0.175.
- 03-Nov-2006 Vim tip
- Published first vimtip #1376 Folding of vimscript functions.
- 24-Oct-2006 IndentConsistencyCop
- First major Vim script with algorithmic computations in a functional programming style, comprising 100 kb, 1 kLOC, 80 functions.
- 18-Sep-2006 redocommand
- First published Vim script.
- 20-Nov-2003 JWPce 1.42
- Mailed enhancement to enable Kanji input through Windows IME. (Never heard back.)
- 22-Sep-2003 TWiki
- Posted fix for broken rcsdiff under HP-UX when using prebuilt SD-depots.
- 07-Aug-2003 TWiki ExplicitNumberingPlugin
- Submitted patch for repeated page view numbering bug under mod_perl. Patch accepted 12-Aug-2003.
- Mar-2003 TWiki
- Posted problem report and later fix for running TWiki under mod_perl.
- 14-May-2002 Vim
- Added a visual mode mapping to vimtip #1: the super star.
Ingo Karkat, 28-Mar-2009; last update 04-Aug-2014